Friday, December 28, 2007

Postmans Park, City of London: Commemorative Plaques.

.
One of the jobs I have had in London was near to Postman's Park, often in the summer after work I used to have a quiet refelective sit down and smoke there before heading off home. I have since moved on and given up smoking but when ever I get the opportunity I pop into Postman's Park to see the plaques placed up therein, reflecting on the heroism of people who otherwise would have been forgotten. Such were the sentiments that led to the Postman's Park Plaque tributes being created in the first place, indeed sentiments I am sure we would all agree with. Then hopefully like I you will think it a good idea that such memorial and testimomy to self sacrifice and bravery be marked in Wales in a similar way. Possibly such could be set up in the new National History Museum at Sant Fagan. why not set aside a small space for a ''Peoples Park'' with plaques to remind us of such acts of personal heroism in our own history and being such that it is an ongoing memorialisation of such acts of self sacrifice. I often enough call for memorials to be set up for Princes and Patriots or heroes of popular struggle. However, we should not be forgetful of those who die so others may live, we not only need to remember but in a day and age of much greed, selfishness and self advancement a reminder of other values, I hope would not be lost on the children and youth of Wales. Please join me in a campaign for such project to be made a priority of our New National History Museum, and send of letter supporting this campaign to the new museums office, plus to your AM requesting they back up the campaign. In meantime if you have some local examples of such personal heroism please provide me with details and I will begin a roll call in this post.
.
Postman's Park, King Edward Street, London
The small green space called "Postman's Park" is tucked in between King Edward Street, Little Britain and Angel Street, near St Bartholomew's Hospital, ...
www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/london/tiles/ppark/index.shtml - 13k - cached - related

.
.

.
.
Postman's Park, London 360ยบ panorama
photographic 360 degree interactive panoramas of Paris, London, Wales, ...Postman's Park was the work of socialist George Watts, built in the late 1880s to ...
www.urban75.org/vista/postman.html - 17k - cached - related
.
Gethin.