Tuesday, February 3, 2009

STAMPS: In The Promotion of History & Struggle.

.
The first Campaign for Welsh Stamps I can recollect was in the sixties when we over printied Brit stamps with 'Cymru', see cutting below. When GPO continued to ignore the demand for Welsh Stamps we printed our own, most importantly first was the Patagonia Anniversary stamp, I have copies but not available to me at moment to scan and post here. Same we produced a 'Welsh Not' anniversary stamp, unfortunately I have no copies. Later Gwasg Lolfa published 'Welsh Stamps' as shown below re 'Testament Newydd' and of course they have in recent times published an Owain Glyndwr set.
.
The British Post Office will be publishing Welsh Interest Stamps on 26 February re 'The Great Little Trains' of Wales but none I am aware of yet to cover any significant Welsh Anniversaries as example the 125th anniversary of the cremation of Iesu Grist the Son of Dr William Price, this being a landmark in history of introducing cremation into the British Isles, it is kind of a missed opportunity. There are other important anniversaries as well, not least anniversary of death of Twm Sion Catti, the fall of Harlech Glyndwr's Citadal' in 1409 and some others of interest .
.
Then what about 100th Anniversaries of Tonypandy 191
0 and Llanelli 1911. I wonder if the Zulu War 1879 - 2009 and of course Battle of Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift will get any attention, or maybe the Statutes of Rhuddlan and Edwards Nefyn Victory Celebrations 1284 - 2009, 725th anniversaries to really provoke Welsh Nationalists. Even more provocutive would be a stamp to mark the 40th Anniversary of that Infamouse Investiture of 1969, do not think so but I guess Henry VIII will get one to mark anniversary of his assension to the throne.
.
Cofiwn in 1982 issued it's own Commemorative Envelopes and had people post them with Brit Stamps up side down, as shown below, note I posted this one to myself on day of the 700th - 1282 - 1982 Anniversary Rali Cilmeri. A very good design and altogether an attractive commemorative idea. Of course if we had our own Independent Welsh G.P.O. we could issue loads of Commemorative stamps and envelopes marking famous events in our history. What a great way to promote our history and make money for a Welsh Postal Service.
.
I have started to collect stamps for my Grandchildren, stamps of historical interest particularly those that mark Political struggles as of Ireland and Poland etc. Am getting quite a collection together which I will share with you across all my blogs as and when opportune or appropriate to post up, so keep your eyes open for some very interesting stamps that will at same time keep you historically informed.
.
Over the coming years there will be a number of interesting World Anniversaries coming up for which there will be issue of special Anniversary stamps, I wonder if the Albiginese Crusade will get a stamp? I cannot see Poland failing to miss the 1410 - 2010 Battle of Grunwald anniversary, this year the USA marks anniversary of the Birth of Abe Lincoln and in years shortly to come the most important anniversaries of the American Civil War, go check web for further info.
.
Gethin 'Adfywiad Anorak', Heretic and now Stamp Collector.