Thursday, June 11, 2009

WHY SPEAK SO ILL OF OUR PATRIOTIC DEAD? The Question begs to be asked, just what did you do in the Forgotten War' Mr Humphries?

.
Review of book: Freedom Fighters Wales' 'Forgotten War' by John Humphries, UWP.
.
A great pity, this book could have been a great book if it were not for the attention Mr Humphries gives to himself in the opening and closing chapters, indeed the opening chapters appear to have been written with a film script in mind. Reminded me of that Watergate film, this aside I guess it's as near as one is likly to get to an incomplete history of an underground war given that two leaders (Owain Williams & John Jenkins) of Mudiad Amdiffyn Cymru had much to do with the book. However, perhaps a really full account of this secret war will never be written up for the most obvious of reasons that many of the Freedom Fighters and their back up supporters in this 'forgotten war' are dead or prefer to still lay low and well out of the frame of any retro retribution or maybe prosecution.
.
Sadly the FWA Commandants Cayo and Coslett did not deserve the character assassination that John Humphries so vindictvely makes in the book, especially of Denis Coslett, what was written was vile to say the least and I know of no patriot who would have done this. To my mind and others it seems a most personal attack to say the least, and indeed I and many others consider the opening chapters to this book to serve no great purpose than those who desire to put another English Prince in place over Wales, in the not do distant future. I have already made it known that I have no intention of participating in the TV documentary involving John Humphries. at present being filmed around Wales. I would hope other Patriots too should consider boycotting such TV documentary production, not least those who were active in the 'sixties', or otherwise engaged in patriotic struggle, in one way or another campaign or perhaps just ''fellow travellers'' or maybe simply ''hangers on''.
.
Anyone who regards the minimum of respect and regard for FWA Commandants Cayo and Coslett will I am sure agree this would be the decent thing to do. It is one thing for me to be critical of comrades, as I was of Denis Coslet, and I had every reason to be so, but another for someone well out of the ''line of fire'' to be so judgemental. Denis was indeed a pain in the neck and no way tuned into the PF way of it all, he had a go at me once for refusing to wear an FWA Uniform, I told him why I would not untill the FWA got it's act together. Much in the book Freedom Fighters regards Denis is news to me but perhaps not all of it unbelievable as far his FWA connection, so perhaps fair comment. But so cynically ruthless is not decent to say the least in so speaking ill of the dead who cannot defend themselves.
.
However, Denis and Cayo made a contribution to the radical struggle which is more than can be said for some who took the back door out or went and sat on the fence. Denis could be annoying on occaisions but he had a great sense of humour and at heart he was with Dai Bonner very much a Cultural Nationalist. Yes indeed he was a performer, and he really made me laugh silently to myself has I heard his dock speech echo down to my ears as I was led off to do my time in prison. Only a few moments previously Denis with the others had signed a surrender, and I was but one who had not, that was our pro and anti treaty moment in history. That could have made me bitter, I could have got cynical then and there and indeed could have decided that they had gone and betrayed a great deal, but it was over! We had all done what was best of us, gone through a trial and in end I did my time with Cayo in Cardiff prison whilst Denis was banged up in Swansea Prison.

.
Afterward when much water had passed under the bridge, I came to recognise many other good qualities in Denis, and came to regard him as much a friend as a fellow compatriot as was Cayo for much of the time I knew him. We made many mistakes in the 'sixties' and we may have been off centre and out of tune with much but we were sincere patriots, all risking a great deal as well as ruining our lives to a great degree and we did pay a price. Neither Denis, Cayo nor any of those of the Swansea Nine deserves to be mocked, certainly not those who have since died and cannot answer back in their own defence. Certainly not least by some one who now many years later declares himself to be a patriot after all? but during ''our troubles'' sat it out in a news paper office in Cardiff.
.
Most wrongly John Humpries book sets out not only to minamalise our efforts and endevours in the Anti - Investiture Campaign (also Toni, Glyn and myself re the Patriotic Front) but also he seeks to marginalise us personally (not least re the three of us re our positions and work with Cofiwn). All of which is bye and bye when compared to the vindictive attacks on the FWA and charachter assination of Cayo and Coslett. This has indeed spolit totally what is an otherwise good book in it's account of MAC and Meibion Glyndwr, but other wise for many Patriots there is a real sour taste in our mouths.
.
Thus we can hardly wish the making of this TV documentary well, or indeed further sales of the book itself which of course does not tell the full and complete story of AFYWIAD GWLADGAROL 1963 - 1969, I am working on it. Thus it must be so, that with hand on heart I can but say the best read and none too untruthful account of the great 'sixties' Patriotic Resurgence is that wrote by Roy Clews 'To Dream of Freedom' published by Gwasg Lolfa, now in its third edition.
.
Freedom Fighters is a book in so many ways that has virtue of declaring the obvious, that there had been a 'forgotten war' in Wales during the 'sixties', as much shoved into the shadows as the radical struggle of the Scotch Cattle (ever wondered why Rebecca has not shared the same fate, easy one that if you think Cymraeg Crachach rural respectability post 1848 to the present day).
.
I am aware that an academic account in form of a thesis being written on the militancy of the 'sixties', that no doubt will be published in time, I myself will in due course also write a book but will focus more on my contribution to the struggle via the Patriotic Front. Of course this will enlarge on our relationship with the FWA, not least our own PF 'Active Service Unit'(Street Fighters), initially motivated into existance by Cayo who thought we would shape up to be as akin to the old IRA - ASU's, but this was not to be so. What we had in mind motivated by fall out with FWA and realities was more bringing into existance 'street protest action groups' which could also be trained up for chaos creation in Caernarfon on Investiture day! It is for such reason I was on the Shrewsbury Unit hit list, not for my minimal FWA involvement, in main designing the uniform and drafting up a form of organisation (see pp 66 - 70 Chapter 9 of TDofF).
.
But more on this in due course over in my AWNM&S History Archive blog, suffice to say here that Freedom FIghters by John Humphries does one hell of a job on demolishing the FWA and all associated with they via the FWA trial. That includes the Patriotic Front and also the radical Anti - Investiture Campaign in passing, matters I will deal with in greater depth in a further review of 'Freedom Fighters' that I have been long time promising. Please be patient because, I am reading this book for the second time and taking aboard the views of other patriots, not least 'Hen Adfywiadwyr Gwladgarol' before I put pen to paper, note this follow up review may be published as chapters in my aforementioned book 'Welsh Remembrancer' .
.
To conclude this post, I recognise that the book is very much about MAC (and Meibion Glyndwr - MAC 2?) and very much revolves around patriots Owain Williams and John Jenkins, I have no problem with that as they deservedly need to see their contribution to the struggle made known and historically recorded as full as possible. Both Owain and John are patriots I have worked with, Owen Williams in the Patriotic Front and Anti Investiture Campaign, and John in Cofiwn for a while. I respect both men particularly as Patriots but I will respect them even more, if now they come out publically and not only refute but condemn the character assassination of FWA Commandants Cayo and Coslett. Of course they will have every opportunity to do so in the making of any TV documentary.
.
I have to remind them that through out the 'sixties struggle' both Cayo and Coslett were dedicated Patriots, and that they also supported and campaigned on behalf of Owain and John at times of their trials and imprisonment. Further, I note that Robert ap Steffan in the book has made the point that he considered that Cayo was a giant amongst Patriots, I call upon other comrades and compatriots to arise and also state publically that they consider this to be the truth about these two now dead FWA Commandants. In particular, I consider it very appropriate that such as Henry Jones Davies, founder/editor of Cambria Magazine speaks up the same, should I have to remind him why? Then there are those I often these days rubbish and write off as romantic but also mostly these days renegade Republicans or Crap Cyfamodwyr, you know who you are, time you did something a little bit couragous and more patriotically commmitted than boozing at Rali Cilmeri or as children following the Peid Pipers of Dydd Dewi Parading down to Bae Caerdydd.
.
As for 'Balchder Cymru', it's founders in particular; Moz, Adam Phillips and Paul Edwards the question begs to be asked, why have you not spoken up in defence of Denis Coslett? I make this point as they made Denis their ''iconic' head man, and indeed made great play of being to the fore at his funeral, also Adam at this moment is running a FWA Appreaciation Society, I believe. There are a number of FWA sites on the web, most I consider Brit S.S. 'Sting Sites', those that are genuine I request they start standing up for Cayo and Coslett rather than just stand on their shoulders to bask in their 'Sixties Sun'. However, it's not so much matter of the new 'boys on the block' speaking up, why has not the likes of so called ''Old Comrades'' spoken up in defence of Cayo & Coslett. Especially those who were given and freely took medals off Coslett at Rali Cilmeri over the years, I suggest that at Rali Cilmeri 2009 you will have ample chance to speak up in a 'Sixties Tribute' (1:00 - 2:00pm Rhagfyr 12) feature of this years commemoration prior to other contributing contributions. DO NOT BE SHY GET UP AND SPEAK!
.
Adfywiadwr Gethin - The Heretic.
.
Gorchfygwn!
.
Fe Godwn Ni Eto!